CULTIVATE | 2020
Applications close December 31st, 2019, and we will contact you in early January with the status of your application.
THE AGRICULTURE EDUCATION PROJECT
As a follow up to the Cultivate Summit, each school team will be asked to complete an Agriculture Education Project. This is a unique way your team can share the knowledge, experience, and inspiration gained at Cultivate 2020. The goal is for each Cultivate team to implement their Agriculture Education Project by the end of the 2019-2020 school year.
Inside Education will support your passion for innovative solutions and give you the tools you need to share it with your school, community, province (or even country!) by developing and implementing a unique Agriculture Education Project. We’ll brainstorm with your team, work with you throughout the Summit, connect you with potential speakers, and we’d love to attend your event!
Your team may have an idea in mind (and if so, please include the details in the application form!) or you may use the Summit to start ideas growing.
WHAT TYPE OF PROJECT WILL BE CONSIDERED?
Projects must include a meaningful education and action plan to engage your school and community with what your team has learned at the summit. This can be part of a larger class project, a student-led idea, or a legacy project for the entire school.
Project possibilities are limitless! Here are some ideas:
- Get your boots on the ground and organize a field trip for your class (or grade!) to visit a local farm and learn first hand about sustainable on-farm practices
- Take a page out of the University of Alberta’s There’s a Heifer in Your Tank and have students answer some of the big questions of sustainability faced by our agriculture sector today.
- Work with your favorite Cultivate experts and host an agriculture careers day
- Create an awareness campaign to boost agriculture literacy and stewardship in your school
- Develop a school garden – demonstrating sustainable practices, modeling ‘farm to table’, and developing appreciation and trust in Alberta’s/Canada’s food systems.
- Any other creative ideas you may have!
Want to bounce an idea off an Inside Education staff? Feel free to reach out to Andre Morson to discuss any projects ideas you may have.
STEPS FOR SUCCESS
We know that the process of identifying, selecting, completing, and celebrating a project can be an intimidating ask! This section is intended to help point you in the right direction with additional resources to make sure that your Agriculture Education Project is a success!
First off – remember that this project should be meaningful, but it doesn’t need to be daunting. Here are a few tips to help!
- Identify an issue! If your project is going to have a lasting effect, it may be important to think about what policies or practices your team can influence to address any issues within your school community.
- Ensure that everyone is onboard and that students will be at the lead.
- Involve your administration and the broader school community as soon as you can in order to gain their support.
- Earth Force Framework – The Community Action and Problem Solving Process is a six-step model that combines civic engagement, environmental education, and STEM. Youth work with their educators to identify and research local environmental issues, resulting in a civic action project that addresses their selected issue.\
- Permaculture Design Principles
- CAWST Wavemakers Action Manual
- CPAWS – Teachers guide to community action
- Holistic Management Design Manuals
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
SO YOU’VE APPLIED AND HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED – NOW WHAT?
If your team has completed the online registration form (this will be sent out in early January), you have secured your spot at the Summit and can begin to plan for this one-of-a-kind education event. Congratulations!!
We are also excited to get to know your team better! Make sure to set up a team meeting and send your team photos to the summit organizing committee. Finally, get your Agriculture Education Project ideas growing and be sure to let us know if you have any questions. See you soon!