Grow Alberta is a school garden and student leadership program that strengthens schools and communities by growing together. This collaborative grassroots program initiated by local schools distributes complete growing packages along with gardening resources and supports for students leadership.
By gardening and growing food, students are more connected with the food system and their place in it. Not to mention gaining appreciation for spending time outdoors and getting their hands dirty! Students, teachers and the agriculture community are coming together to share creative ideas that make it possible for everyone to GROW ALBERTA!
Follow the fun with schools growing together at #GrowAlberta
Resources to support your Grow Alberta Project!
- Education session with a Senior High School Student Mentor – contact your regional hub coordinator!
- Agriculture for Life has a ton of resources to help you get growing! check them out here.
- Inside Education – > No cost classroom presentations on plants, agriculture, climate change and more!
- Nutrien ->
- Elementary – Resources for Grow Alberta schools to participate in Seed Survivor virtual presentation experience and activities and access the additional activities, fun games, videos, recipes, growing advice and more featured on www.SeedSurvivor.com.
- Junior & Senior High – check out Journey 2050 which takes students on a virtual farm simulation that explores world food sustainability. There are also virtual guest speaker opportunities in partnership with Ag for Life and the Calgary Stampede available across Alberta!
- Nutrients for Life -> Resources and opportunities to receive a school learning garden grant of up to $3000!
Participating in Grow Alberta
– How it works.
This is 100% a no cost program! With the support of generous partners hub schools order soil, seeds and materials for their regions. Participating schools register to receive a Grow Alberta kit and arrange to pick up their supplies from their local hub. Schools can choose to use the Grow Alberta kit to set up a learning garden, school growing project, send the seeds home with students or whatever works best to inspire great growing. All schools are supported along the way with free resources, classroom presentations and teacher networking opportunities!
Registrations are closed for the 2021 growing season but if you are interested in becoming a hub school for 2022 please contact Adam Robb.
Grow Alberta Schools | Hub Schools highlighted
Calgary South – Career & Technology Centre – Adam Robb
Calgary North – Robert Thirsk High School – Warren Lake
Central Alberta – Lacombe Composite High School – Steven Shultz
Edmonton – Queen Elizabeth High School – James Stuart
St. Albert Area- Morninville High School – Neil Korotash
- 2021 Grow Alberta Online Launch – Monday April 26, 7:00-8:30 pm
- Join us to kick off your Grow Alberta Project or to learn more about the program. Register Here.
- Cultivate 2021: Virtual Summit – Thursday May 19, 9:00-12:00 pm
- Junior and Senior Highs come together to learn more about agriculture and hear from Grow Alberta student leaders.
GROW ALBERTA SUCCESS STORIES
Following the Cultivate 2020 Youth Leadership Summit in Olds Alberta, several of the participating high schools came together to create the truly remarkable Grow Alberta initiative. Efforts from Robert Thirsk and Morinville are born of inspiration from Adam Robb’s students at the Career and Technology Centre (CTC) in Calgary.